The Centre has highly skilled scientists and engineers with extensive expertise in providing innovative solutions to interfacial science and engineering problems experienced by a range of industries, particularly:
- Environmental waste management
- Water treatment
- Mineral processing
- Food processing
- Chemical processing
Areas of Expertise
Our services can vary in detail and range from simple standard regulatory testing and materials characterisation, to process optimisation, to the development of waste minimisation protocols and water treatment process improvements.
Our expertise includes:
- Yield stress determination of concentrated particulate systems
- Processing of mineral suspensions
- Zeta potential analysis including high volume fraction electrokinetics of slurries and streaming potential of planar surfaces.
- Dewatering characterisation including compressibility and permeability analysis and analysis of flocculant performance.
- Surface area measurement using a Micromeritics ASAP 2000 instrument.
- Rheological characterisation of fluids from −20 to 400°C
- Elongation properties of low viscosity (0.001 to 1 pa.s) fluids
- High shear viscosities of solutions, suspensions and emulsions
- Measurement of degradation of fluids at high temperatures
- Determination of gel times for complex, time and temperature dependent materials
- Simulation of fluid flow using molecular dynamics and stochastic modeling
- Interfacial tension for gas-liquid and liquid-liquid systems, including dynamic interfacial tension measurements
- Measurement of the kinetics of interfacial reactions in liquid-liquid systems
- Measurement of thin film thickness
If you have a general query about the wide ranging services that the PFPC can provide industry please contact:
Dr Michelle de Silva
T: +61 3 8344 6620
F: +61 3 8344 8824